Tuesday 29 January 2008

Part time Painter, yup that's me!


How do I start the new year? By starting a new blog of course! What do I hope to achieve with this blog? Inspiration, creativity, diversity, world peace... um, yeah. The truth? I want to be a testimonial (maybe more a mark on the page) that you can work full time, and still carry on artistic endeavours professionally, and with some modicum of success.

You see, I'm an artist. A part time artist. Some weeks a very, very part time painter. I'm also a software developer, working full time for a government agency (.NET for all you geeks out there). I've been straddling the two careers for several years now, sometimes successfully, other times not.

I chose to do things this way for several reasons:
  • I hate not knowing when my next payday will be
  • I don't like working at home by myself all the time (despite all the office politics, I need people around me)
  • I would get bored easily just painting (don't get me wrong, I love painting, but I need other types of brain stimulation - things I get from programming and project management)
  • I procrastinate (give me a deadline, a budget, people to boss around and I'll get things done, otherwise...)
  • I'm not as dedicated to art as I would need to be
  • I like having art as something I enjoy, not
So with this in mind, I intend on focusing on
  • productivity - balancing time, life and art
  • creativity - how you keep your 'muse' in check
  • being a microbusiness - will I have a life and keep my sanity?
  • being an online artist - galleries, products, marketing oh my!
  • reducing stress - yes, having multiple hats can be stressful!
  • reviews of books, products, websites, tips & tricks related to art and creativity
  • any other related tid bits
If you want to find out more about me and my art, please visit my website at www.NicoleCadet.com

0 comments: